www.patrika.com/.../agra/christmas-celebrated-first-time-in-akbari-...Translate this pageDec 22, 2016 - आगरा। शहर में वैसे तो कई चर्च हैं, लेकिन इनमें से सबसे खास चर्च है, जिसे स्वयं शहंशाह ए हिन्दुस्तान अकबर ने ...
वर्ष पहले पहला क्रिसमस अकबरी चर्च में मनाया गया था। वजीरपुरा स्थित इस चर्च को अकबरी चर्च के नाम से भी पहचाना जाता है। इस चर्च के इतिहास पर जाएं, तो मुगल शासक ने दीन ए इलाही धर्म के दौरान इस चर्च की नींव रखवाई थी। ईसाई समाज की एक पुस्तक के अनुसार सन् 1562 में ताजनगरी में ईसाईयों का आगमन शुरू हुआ, सम्राट अकबर द्वारा धन और जमीन देने पर सन् 1599 में जुसुइट फादर ने इस चर्च का निर्माण करावाया था।
यहां पर है ये चर्च
ताजनगरी के ह्रदय स्थल कहे जाने वाले संजय प्लेस के सामने सेंट पीटर्स चर्च के पास स्थित अकबरी चर्च की भव्य इमारत बनी हुई है। इस चर्च का गुम्बद मुगलिया ढंग से ही बनवाया गया है। बताया जाता है कि जहांगीर की ईसाई धर्म में जब आस्था बढ़ने लगी, तो उन्होंने इस चर्च को भव्यता प्रदान करने के लिए काम कराया। लाहौर चर्च की अपेक्षा यह चर्च छोटा व कम सुंदर था, इसके लिए जहांगीर ने धन देकर चर्च को लाहौर चर्च की अपेक्षा भव्यता प्रदान कराने के लिए निर्माण कराया था।
Christmas Day 2016
कई बार टूटा यह चर्च
बताया जाता है कि सन् 1615 में मुगल और पुर्तगालियों के बीच मतभेद हो गया। जिसके बाद जहांगीर ने इस चर्च को तुडवा दिया, इसके बाद फिर निर्माण हुआ, लेकिन 1616 में चर्च में आग लग गई। 1632 में शाहजहां ने पुर्तगालियों के स्थान हुगली पर चढाई कर दी। चर्च के फादर जेसुईट को गिरफतार किया गया। सन् 1634 में शाहजहां ने फादर जेसुईट व अन्य को चर्च तुडवाने की शर्त पर छोडा। सन् 1636 में एक बार फिर शाहजहां ने इस चर्च को बनवाया। सन् 1748 में पार्सियन आक्रमणकारी अहमद शाह अब्दाली ने मुगल सल्तनत को तहस नहस कर दिया, इस चर्च को भी निशाना बनाया गया। बाद में चर्च की मरम्मत समाज के लोगों द्वारा कराई गई और इसे माता मरियम के नाम पर समर्पित कर दिया गया।
Christmas Day 2016
मुगलों की कला से सजा है चर्च
अकबरी चर्च 1851 तक आगरा का प्रमुख चर्च रहा है। प्रथम बार क्रिसमिस भी इसी चर्च में मनाया गया। चर्च की मध्य भाग की दीवार लाल पत्थरों की है, जिस पर नक्काशी की हुई है, यह मुगलकालीन स्थापत्य कला से मेल खाती है। वहीं चर्च का पूरा स्वरूप देखा जाए, तो यह मुगलिया कला से मेल खाता है।
The first Christmas year was celebrated in the Akbar church. The church at Wajirpura is also known by the name of Akbar church. Go to the history of this church, the Mughal ruler had laid the foundation of this church during Din A Elahi religion. According to a book of Christian society, in 1562, the advent of Christianity in TajJun began, after the emperor Akbar gave wealth and land, in 1599, Jesuit Father had created this church.
Here's the church
In front of Sanjay Place which is called the heartland of Tajani, there is a grand building of the Akbari church situated near St. Peter's Church. The dome of this church has been built in the manner of Mughalaya. It is said that when faith began to grow in Jahangir's Christian religion, he worked to give this church the grandeur. The Church was smaller and less beautiful than the Lahore Church, for which, Jahangir had given the fund to build the church for the grandeur of the Church rather than the Lahore Church.
Broken church at times
It is said that in 1615 there was a difference between the Mughal and the Portuguese. After which Jahangir torn the church, after which it was rebuilt, but in 1616 the church was set on fire. In 1632, Shah Jahan attacked the Portuguese's place in Hooghly. Father Jesuit of the Church was arrested In 1634 Shahjahan left Father Jesuit and others on the condition of tearing the church. In 1636 again Shahjahan built this church. In 1748, the Persian invader Ahmed Shah Abdali devastated the Mughal sultanate, this church was also targeted. Later the church was repaired by the people of the society and it was dedicated to the name of Mother Mary.
Christmas Day 2016
Art is punished by the art of Mughals
Akbari Church has been the principal church of Agra till 1851. For the first time, Christmas was also celebrated in this church. The wall of the middle of the church is of red stones, which is carved, it corresponds to the Mughal architecture. At the same time the full form of the church is seen, so it corresponds to the art of Mughlia.
The Armenians were travelled overland on the caravan route through Persia, Bactria and Tibet, and established themselves in all the important trading centers of the Subcontinent. In Agra in the sixteenth century, they settled at Akbar’s express invitation. The Emperor was interested in their religion.Their olive-complexioned women also caught his eye : there was more than one Armenian Begum in the imperial harem. Soon after the foundation of Kolkata , intrepid Armenian merchants arrived there. (They had already settled at Saidabad near Murshidabad and at Chunchura.) They build homes business houses and a wharf ( Armenian Ghat to this day) within a kilometer of their wooden chapel, set up in 1707 on Old China Bazar Street.
This church has the unique distinction of being the oldest in Kolkata, having been built originally as a wooden structure in 1707 by public subscription and through the efforts of Agha Nazar. It was designed by Levon Ghevond, an Armenian architect from Persia, who was specially brought from New Julfa near Ispahan. The entrance , from Armenian street, leads to the centre gate of the church, beyond which is a boarded footpath and a vestibule. In 1724 a building of brick and mortar replaced the original wooden one. The church was renovated and restored by Aga Petrus Aratoon in 1763. While the handsome three-dialed clock, which the steeple accommodates, was presented by Aga Arrakiel in 1792. His generosity also helped to build the surrounding wall and houses for the clergy.
Situated in the midst of a typically Indian bazaar, the original site was an Armenian cemetery. The floor of the vestibule, as well as the churchyard is a mass of ancient-tomb stones, the earliest of which at the south-western corner outside the main building bares the date 11th July 1630- sixty years before the English founded and settled in Kolkata. But its date, is astonishingly early, and its authenticity is widely questioned. At any rate, it must have reached its present site much later, in the nineteenth century. Most of the tomb-stones are inscribed in Armenian, and only a few in English.
The interior of the church, paved in marble has a circular staircase to the left leading to the overhead gallery and mural tablets on the walls commemorating benefactors. The centre aisle, between massive fluted pillars and polished pews, leads to the Chancel. On the east , the holy Alter, simple and yet majestic, adorned with cross, gospels and twelve candle sticks symbolizing Christ and his apostles. The altarpiece consists of three oil painting by the English artist A. E. Harris depicting “The holy Trinity”, “ The Lords supper” and “ The Enshrouding of our Lord”.
The Armenians claim to be the first nation to have embraced Christianity as far back as 301 A.D. During a visit of King Apcar of Armenia to Persia, he contracted leprosy. Hearing the miracles of Jesus he dispatched messengers with a letter confessing his belief in the divinity of Christ and inviting him to Armenia. One of the messengers, an artist was instructed to paint a portrait of Christ. After repeated failures, Jesus himself called for a napkin held it against his face and miraculously impressed his likeness upon it. He made this over to the messengers together with a letter. This relic, it is said, was kept at Edessa, then the capital of Armenia till 944A.D., when it was removed by the Emperor Romanus of Greece to Constantinople. When the Turks captured Constantinople in 1453, it was carried away to Italy and placed in a church in Venice, When it is said to be preserved to this day.