Travancore/Kerala History of Communications, Railway, Electric Supply,phone

Electric Supply and Telephone: Application was made to the British Government in 1081 M.E. (1905-06) for sanction to install a line of telephone communication connecting P6ehippgra with and Telephone. other principal stations in south Travancore. This line was taken over from the British Indian Telegraph Department towards the close of 1086 M.E. (1910-11) and a new station opened at Chellanthuruthi. It is now run on the one-line system.
The question of the expansion of the Government Telephone System in the Trivandrum town was taken in hand in 1102 M.E. Negotiations wore also opened with the British Government for establishing a Trunk Telephone line between Alleppey and Cochin mainly for the convenience of mercantile and shipping interests. The installation of a telephone line between Aruvikkara and the Water-works headquarters at Trivandrum was completed and the line put into service from 1105 M. E. (1929-30) Details of the Trivandrum Telephone Exchange are given in the chapter on communications.
The Trivandrum Electric Supply Scheme was put into execution in 1103 M.E. Mr. K. P. P. P. Menon, Industrial Engineer, was put on special duty from 1-1-1103 M.E. as an Electrical Engineer in the P.W.D. The Electrical Installation of the Trivandrum town including the major portion of the distribution mains was completed in 1104.M.E. On the evening of the 25th February 1929, the Silver Jubilee of the Sri Mulam Popular Assembly, the then Dewan, Mr. M.E. Watts, in the presence of a distinguished gathering, switched on the supply and informally opened the Power House. On the 8th March 1929 the supply to the town commenced with 541 street lights and two consumers. The demand for power was encouraging and the scheme was therefore considerably developed. In 1107 M.E. i.e., since three years of its operation, a substantial return of 8.44 per cent, on the capital invested after meeting all working expenses and depreciation charges was realised. In view of the great possibilities of improving the agricultural and industrial condition of the State by inaugurating a scheme for the supply of cheap power for distribution in the industrial and rural areas, the question of investigating the various water- power sites in the hills engaged the attention of Government and a detailed investigation of the Pallivasal falls was undertaken. The preliminary investigation was completed in 1107 M.E. and the report on the prospects of the scheme was so satisfactory that Government decided to make provision for the work in 1108 M. E. and to obtain a second opinion on it from an Engineer in the Hydro Electric Development Department of the Madras Government.
The satisfactory working of the Trivandrum Electric Supply Scheme proved an incentive to other towns in the State. At Kottayam a license was granted in 1107 M. E. and the Public Electricity Supply Scheme brought into operation during the year. A license for the supply of energy to Nagercoil was also granted. The Trivandrum Electric Supply Scheme continued to be under the control of the Chief Engineer till 3-10-1108 M. E. when it was separated from the P.W.D. and constituted m a separate department. (For further details see chapter on Electric Power.)
The administration of the Department is now conducted by a Chief Electrical Engineer, a Resident Engineer at Pallivasal, an Executive Engineer at Trivandrum, two Assistant Engineers, one Sub-Engineer and two Superintendents.
Aerodrome: The first landing ground for Aeroplanes in Travancore was opened at Quilon in 1108 M. E. But this was found unsuitable for the landing of planes and was therefore extended. The construction of a landing ground for Aeroplanes at Trivandrum was commenced and completed during 1 110 M. E. An experimental flight was made by Messrs. Tata & Sons, Bombay, early in 1111 M.E. Regular Air Mail Service was started subsequently and the first plane carrying mail landed at the Aerodrome on the 12th Thulam 1111 (29th October 1935.)
Railway: Negotiations for the Travancore-Tinnevelly and the Shoranore-Ernakulam Branch Railways were completed in 1073 M.E. (1897-98). The construction of other Travancore Branches of the S.I.R. was commenced in 1075 M. E. (1899-1900). The Tinnevelly- Quilon extension was almost completed and the line from Quilon to Punalar opened for traffic in 1079 M.E. (1904). But owing to the slips that occurred during the heavy rains of that year through communication was, not established till the end of November next. The total cost of constructing the Travancore Branch of the line was Rs. 1,57,71,766. The survey of a line from Quilon to Trivandrurn was completed in 1086 M.E. (1910-11) and the line was opened for traffic on the lst January 1918. The survey of a line from Quilon to Ernakulam was started. A coastal line from Quilon to Cochin via Alleppey was also under consideration.
The survey for the extension of the Railway from Trivandrum to Nagarcoil, which was commenced in 1098 M.E., was completed in 1100 M.E. (1924-25) along with that for the extension of the line from Chakkay to the heart of Trivandrum town. The reconnaissance survey of the coastal line from Mavelikara to Cochin via Alleppey was started in 1102 M.E. (1926-27). The plans and estimates for the extension from Chakkay to Thampanur were also completed and the work sanctioned in the same year. A special staff was sanctioned in 1105 M.E. (1929-30) for the preparation of the estimates and plans of all the railway lines surveyed. The State has now 98 miles of railway excluding the portion of the Ernakulam-Shoranore Railway passing through Travancore territory.
Water Works and Drainage: A scheme to supply the town of Trivandrum with water was under consideration for over half a century, but Water Works and it was left to the year 1103 M.E. to witness the first beginnings of its realisation. In 1921 a report with estimate was prepared by the then Chief Engineer, Mr. F.J. Jacob, The scheme provided for the water supply from the Karamana river at Aruvikkara to a prospective population of 1,75,000 souls at the end of 1946, occupying an area of 18 square miles. The scheme was examined by Mr. J. W. Madeley, M.A., M.I.C.E. M.A, M. Soc., C.E. &c, and he suggested several modifications which necessitated a redoing of all the field work and the entire design and estimating. Mr. Madeley's recommendations were accepted and the necessary preliminary investigation and the preparation of the detailed design were ordered to be carried out. This was completed by the end of Kanni 1104. A new division for carrying out the project was formed and an Engineer was deputed to inspect water works of importance in British India. Estimates were duly prepared and sanctioned in 1104 M.E. The work was put in operation and was under the guidance and control of the Chief Engineer till 3-12-1110 M. E. when it was separated and a new Department known as the Water Works Department was formed.
Details of the various schemes are given in the chapter on the Water Works and Drainage. The controlling staff of this department consists of a Water Works and Drainage Engineer, two Executive Engineers for Water-works and an Executive Engineer for Drainage besides Assistant and Sub-Engineers and Superintendents.
 

Kerala PWD - History of the Department

www.keralapwd.gov.in/getPage.php?page=History&pageId=226
Extracts from the Travancore State Manual, by Sadasyatilaka Sri. ... The fine suspension bridge across the Kallada river at Punalur, the construction of ... The first cement concrete road in the State was experimented in 1108 M. E. the portion of ...