HAND PULLED RICKSHAWS WERE COMMON IN THE TOWNS OF TRAVANCORE AND COCHI N
coal -gas bus .coal is converted into coal gas ,by cranking the handle for about 15 minutes .the coal gas was used to run the buses in 1940-1945 during 2nd world war ,due to non availability of petrol
A TYPICAL CHEVROLET BUS OF 1940-1960 ,USED WITH PETROL ENGINE OR WITH COAL GAS ENGINE ,[DIESEL,C.N.G,AND L.P.G WERE UNKNOWN THEN,] open side buses were common in interior Travancore-official name "charabanc"but popularly called 'chatak':-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charabanc
PETROL PRICE IN 1950-1 GALLON=3.78 LITER =RS 15 1 LITER PETROLALMOST 4 RUPEES
The meenachil motor association bus , a thyronicraft 8 seater bus which was the first bus to ply in Trivandrum - Kollam routeThe first bus service was started in 1908 by a public company by name Meenachil Motor Association[charabanc bus or side open bus]
"charabanc' bus of 1910-50
A TYPICAL TAXI ON ROAD IN TRAVANCORE 1940:-
THE CLEANER/CONDUCTOR USED TO STAND ON THE DOOR STEP
INDIAN CARS AND BUSES WERE FIRST PRODUCED AROUND 1950
THE FIRST INDIAN MADE CAR -HINDUSTAN-1950'S[NEW CAR RS 7500/-SECOND HAND CAR RS 2500/-][THIS CAR CAN BE SEEN IN SONG BELOW]
In 1949, the Morris 10, made by HM's British partner Nuffield, was driven out of the Birlas' Uttarpara plant near Kolkata as the Hindustan 10. In the next decade and a bit, its evolution (see box) into the Ambassador
HINDUSTAN ON WHEELS: THE MANY AVATARS OF THE AMBASSADOR
1949: Hindustan 10 and 14 The Hindustan Motors plant began rolling out cars modelled on the Morris cars of Britain. For instance, the Hindustan 14. 1954: Landmaster Looked like the Amby from the front but had a different back. Introduced the "trafficator"; 74 per cent market share.
1957: Mark I The Ambassador finally arrived as a sort of sleeker, souped up Landmaster. It defined the Ambassador's size for the next half-century.
1963: Mark II First of the upgraded Ambassadors. Followed by Mark III (1975), IV (1979), Nova (1990) and Classic (1999). Most Indians couldn't tell the difference though
- The Company was incorporated on 1st September at Mumbai to manufacture diesel vehicles for commercial use, excavators, industrial shunter, dumpers, heavy forgings and machine tools.
- The commerical diesel vehicles which were known `Tata Mercedes Benz' (TMB) are now called `Tata' vehicles after the expiry of the collaboration agreement with Daimler-Benz AG, West Germany. The company also used to manufacture pulp and paper making machinery.
-Tata Enginering undertook manufacture of 5000 'KC' broad gauge open wagons for the Indian Railway.
-The Managing Agency Tata Sons was transferred to Tata Industries on July 1, 1946. The Managing Agency system continued till it was abolished by an act of Parliament in 1970.
-Steam Road Roller introduced in collaboration with Marshal Sons (UK) 1950 Collaboration signed with M/s Krauss-Maffei, W. Germany for manufacture of steam locomotives 1954 Collaboration with M/s Daimler -Benz AG,
W.Germany, for the manufacture of medium commercial vehicles at Jamshedpur.
- Steel foundry set up in collaboration with Usines Emile Henricot of Court St. Etienne, Belgium.
- Research and Development Center set up at Jamshedpur.
- The company's name, which was Tata Locomotive & Engineering Company Ltd.was changed to Tata Engineering & Locomotive Company Ltd.
-Collaboration with M/s Pawling & Harnischfeger (P&H), U.S.A. for manufacture of cable type excavators and cranes.
- A project for the production of large press tools and complex dies was undertaken in collaboration with Raymond. F. Thompson (Engineers) Ltd. UK. 1965
- With effect from 1st July the Investa Machine Tools and Engineering Co. Ltd. was amalgamated with the company and it became the Machine Tool Division. 1968 Robots atTata's factory in Pune, India
-Vehicle manufacture facilities steadily built up at Pune 1968 Collaboration with M/s Hueller Hille Gmbh, W. Germany, for the manufacture of unit construction special purpose machines.
Tata launched its first Mercedes Benz diesel truck, Telco.
India‘s first Prime Minister, Jawaharlal Nehru, walks through the apprentice shop at Jamshedpur .
The owner of the first Mercedes Benz diesel truck, Sardar Kartar singh is presented with the key of the 1,00,000th truck.-1965
Employees cheer as the first Tata branded truck rolls out, ending the collaboration with D aimler Benz, Germany.
Tata manufactures its first commercial vehicle at its plant in Pune.1977
Tata launches its first light commercial vehicle from Telco, the Tata 407.
Tata Estate, Telco’s second passenger vehicle launched by JR D Tata and Ratan Tata.
Tata Motors released its multi-utility car, Tata Sumo in the year 1994. After that, there was no stopping the car manufacturing unit.
Ratan Tata drives the first Tata Indica off the assembly line.
Tata Motors produced an SUV, Tata Safari. It was the first SUV to be designed, developed and manufactured entirely in India.
Tata introduced India’s most competitive indigenous sedan, the Indigo.
Tata Motors acquires Daewoo Commercial Vehicle Company, South Korea. The first range of Tata Novus Vehicles from Tata Daewoo is launched soon after.
Tata Motors starts its globalization drive and launches the Tata Indica in South Africa.
Tata Motors launched the most-awaited car of the year, its one-lakh car called Nano, at the 9th Auto Expo
In the early years of the automotive industry, more attention was paid to manufacturing cars than buses and trucks. The progressive manufacture of Tata-Mercedes-Benz diesel trucks and buses in India began in Poona in October 1954, after Tata Motors and Daimler-Benz had tied up. And the next year Ashok Leyland began manufacture of its Comet trucks. Fords and General Motors, not confident of indigenising production, may have pulled out, but the Indian manufacturers confidently forged ahead. And the Indian Automobile Industry had by the late 1950s put down firm roots.
Tata's commercial vehicles 1954 Collaboration with Daimler Benz AG, West Germany, for manufacture of medium commercial vehicles. The first vehicle rolled out within 6 months of the contract.
1977 First commercial vehicle manufactured in Pune.
Premier Automobiles Ltd (PAL) was promoted by Walchand Hirachand, in collaboration with the Chrysler Corporation of the US. In March 1947, the company began assembling Chrysler products: Dodge, De Soto, and Plymouth cars
and Dodge, De Soto and Fargo trucks. Indigenistion started in 1949 with the manufacture of radiators, mufflers, springs, propeller shafts, shock absorbers, etc. In 1950 PAL entered into a collaboration with Fiat, SpA of Italy and started assembly of Fiat 1100 cars.
In 1953, following the Tariff Commission report, the Government of India granted protection to the automobile industry, thus enabling Premier Automobiles to step up its manufacturing program with full vigour and, in 1954, the first Indian-made ‘Fiat 1100’ cars rolled out.
Timeline of Maruti-Sanjay Gandhi's company was christened Maruti Limited. The name of the car waschosen as "Maruti", after a Hindu deity named Maruti.OR LORD HANUMAN-
A private limited company named 'Maruti technical services private limited' (MTSPL) launched on November 16, 1970. The stated purpose of this company was to provide technical know-how for the design, manufacture and assembly of "a wholly indigenous motor car".
In June, A company called 'Maruti limited' was incorporated under the Companies Act and Sanjay Gandhibecame its first managing director.
Founded by Raghunandan Saran, Ashok Motors was set up in collaboration with Austin Motor Company, England and incorporated on September 7th for the assembly of Austin cars.
The first A40 assembled
Production began in September at the factory situated at Ennore, south of Madras, and soon the first indigenously assembled A40 Austin car was rolled out.
Ashok Motors and Leyland, UK agree to collaborate
An agreement was reached between the two companies and Ashok Motors got sole rights to import, assemble and progressively manufacture Leyland trucks for seven years.
Assembly of Leyland chassis commences
The first Leyland chassis assembled by Ashok Motors at Ennore were four Comet 350-engines tippers sold to the Mangalore Tile Factory.
1960 LEYLAND DOUBLE DECKER BUS ON LEFT
TRACTORS IN INDIA
Government approval for manufacture of commercial vehicles
The Government approved the progressive manufacture of Leyland commercial vehicles and a license for the manufacture of 1,000 Comets a year was granted.
International Cub Lo-Boy, 1956
1961 TO 1970
Local production began in 1961 with five manufacturers producing a total of 880 units per year. By 1965 this had increased to over 5000 units per year and the total in use had risen to over 52,000. By 1970 annual production haexceeded 20,000 units with over 146,000 units working in the country.
Ashok Motors becomes Ashok Leyland
Named after Raghunandan’s son, Ashok, the company was renamed ‘Ashok Leyland’ with equity participation from Leyland Motors, Ltd.
India’s first double-decker arrives
‘Titan’ - The first Indian-made double decker with 50% indigenous components was launched.
A revolution in steering
For the first time, power steering was featured on commercial vehicles.
The Viking appears
The ‘Viking’, the first ever bus with an alternator and a unique front overhang that facilitated front entry hit the Indian roads.
A Cheetah bounds into the frame
India’s first rear-engine bus – ‘Cheetah’ was introduced with mixed reactions from drivers. While it cut off much of the heat, their complaint was that they “could not hear the engine!”
Two major new truck introductions
India’s first 13-ton truck – ‘Tusker’ with a 125 hp engine was launched followed by the country’s first multi-axle truck – ‘Taurus’.
India’s first Vestibule bus introduced
India’s first vestibule or the articulated bus was introduced ushering in a whole new concept in urban travel.
Acquisition of AVIA
The truck business of Czech Republic-based AVIA came into the Company’s fold
India’s first Hybrid CNG Plug-in Bus
Showcased at Auto Expo 2010 and later did service during the Commonwealth Games moving VIPs and media at Pragati Maidan, New Delhi.
Stake in Optare plc.
As part of its global bus strategy, the Company bought 26% stake in Optare plc, a well-known bus maker in the UK. Subsequently, the stake was increased to 75.1% in January, 2012.
Enters the construction equipment space
October 2011 saw the launch of a new brand – LEYLAND DEERE – and the unveil of the first product from the Ashok Leyland – John Deere joint venture – the 435 Backhoe Loader.
WAR SURPLUS TRACTORS AND BULLDOZERS WERE IMPORTED FOR LAND RECLAMATION AND CULTIVATION IN MID 1940'S. IN 1947 CENTRAL AND STATE TRACTOR ORGANIZATIONS WERE SET UP TO DEVELOP AND PROMOTE THE SUPPLY AND USE OF TRACTORS IN AGRICULTURE AND UP TO 1960, THE DEMAND WAS MET ENTIRELY THROUGH IMPORTS. THERE WERE 8,500 TRACTORS IN USE IN 1951, 20,000 IN 1955 AND 37,000 BY 1960.
1961 TO 1970
LOCAL PRODUCTION BEGAN IN 1961 WITH FIVE MANUFACTURERS PRODUCING A TOTAL OF 880 UNITS PER YEAR. BY 1965 THIS HAD INCREASED TO OVER 5000 UNITS PER YEAR AND THE TOTAL IN USE HAD RISEN TO OVER 52,000. BY 1970 ANNUAL PRODUCTION HAD EXCEEDED 20,000 UNITS WITH OVER 146,000 UNITS WORKING IN THE COUNTRY.
1971 TO 1980
Six new manufacturers were established during this period although three companies (Kirloskar Tractors, Harsha Tractors and Pittie Tractors) did not survive. HMT, a large public sector unit, began manufacturing Agricultural Tractors in 1972 under the HMT brand name with technology acquired from Zetor of the Czech Republic. Escorts Ltd. began local manufacture of Ford tractors in 1971 in collaboration with Ford, UK and total production climbed steadily to 33,000 in 1975
1981 TO 1990
A further five manufacturers began production during this period but only one of these survived in the increasingly competitive market place. Annual production exceeded 75,000 units by 1985 and reached 140,000 in 1990 when the total in use was about 1.2 million. Then India - a net importer up to the mid-seventies - became an exporter in the 1980s mainly to countries in Africa.
1991 TO 1997
Since 1992, it has not been necessary to obtain an industrial license for tractor manufacture in India. By 1997 annual production exceeded 255,000 units and the national tractor population had passed the two million mark. India now emerged as one of the world leaders in wheeled tractor production.
1997 TO 1999
Five new manufacturers have started production since 1997. In 1998 Bajaj Tempo, already well established in the motor industry, began tractor production in Pune. In April of the same year New Holland Tractor (India) Ltd launched production of 70 hp tractors with matching equipment. The company is making a $US 75 million initial investment in a state of the art plant at Greater Noida in Uttar Pradesh state with an initial capacity of 35000 units per year. Larsen and Toubro have established a joint venture with John Deere, USA for the manufacture of 35-65 hp tractors at a plant in Pune, Maharashtra and Greeves Ltd will produce Same tractors under similar arrangements with Same Deutz-Fahr of Italy. Looking to South American export markets Mahindra and Mahindra are also developing a joint venture with Case for tractors in the 60-200 hp range. Total annual production was forecast to reach 300,000 during the following year.
1999 TO PRESENT
Facing market saturation in the traditional markets of the north west (Punjab, Haryana, Western Uttar Pradesh) tractors sales began a slow and slight decline. By 2002 sales went below 200,000. Manufacturers scrambled to push into eastern and southern India markets in an attempt to reverse the decline, and began exploring the potential for overseas markets. Sales remained in a slump, and added to the market saturation problems also came increased problems of "prestige" loan defaults, where farmers who were not financially able took tractors in moves to increase their families prestige. There are also reported increased misuse of these loans for buying either lifestyle goods, or for social functions. Government and private banks have both tightened their lending for this sector adding to the industry and farmers woes. By 2004 a slight up tick in sales once again due to stronger and national and to some extent international markets. But by 2006 sales once again were down to 216,000 and now in 2007-08 have slid further to just over 200,000.
Eicher Motors-first tractors in INDIA 1959
In 1959, Eicher set up the Eicher Tractor Corporation of India Private Ltd., along with the Goodearth Companyof New Delhi, India, and began production in 1960 of Indian-built Eicher tractors. That company continued until selling the tractor business toTAFE, also of India, which still produces Eicher tractors.
In 1973, Massey Ferguson purchased Eicher, and many Massey-licensed Eichers were built. They later sold their interest, and Dromson now owns the company. They now build specialized tractors for vineyards and such.
Eicher Motors was the first Indian company to make India's very first tractor. On 3rd September, 1960 the company rolled out the first indigenously built tractor of the country from its Faridabad factory. The birth of the company dates back to 1948, when Goodearth company was set-up for the sales and service of imported tractors in India.
Milestones of Eicher Motors
The Company, Goodearth was set up to sell and service imported tractors.
First indigenous Eicher tractor built.
1952 - 1957
Goodearth imported and sold about 1500 tractors in India.
Incorporation of Eicher Tractor Corporation of India Ltd.
Apr. 24, 1959
Eicher launched the first indigenously built tractor from its Faridabad factory.
Changed name to Eicher Tractors India Ltd.
1965 - 1975
100% indigenization achieved in Eicher Tractors.
Eicher Goodearth Limited name given to Eicher.
Collaboration with Mitsubishi.
Oct. 4, 1982
Collaboration agreement for the manufacture of Light Commercial Vehicles signed with Mitsubishi in Tokyo.
Oct. 14, 1982
Eicher Motors Limited was incorporated.
Silver Jubilee Year for Eicher.
Eicher Motors Limited springs into operation.
Eicher Tractors went public.
Feb. 2, 1990
Eicher Goodearth buys 26% equity stake in Enfield India Ltd.
Eicher takes over Ramon & Demm
Formal launch of Management Consulting division of Eicher - ECS
Eicher acquires majority stake in Enfield India (60% equity shareholding)
End of the technical assistance Agreement with Mitsubishi after successful transfer of technology and achieving total indigenisation.
Eicher Tractors Limited amalgamated with Royal Enfield Motors to form Eicher Limited on Jun. 1, 2005.
Jun. 1, 2005
Eicher Motors Limited disinvested the businesses of Tractors & Engines to TAFE Motors and Tractors Limited (TMTL)
SCOOTER/LAMBRETTA/VESPA -INDIA 1947
In 1922, Ferdinando Innocenti of Pescia built a steel-tubing factory in Rome. In 1931, he took the business to Milan where he built a larger factory producing seamless steel tubing and employing about 6,000. During the Second World War, the factory was heavily bombed and destroyed.
The Indian government bought the factory for essentially the same reasons that Ferdinando Innocenti had built it after the War. India was a country with poor infrastructure, economically not ready for small private cars yet with a demand for private transport.
Automobile Products of India (API) began assembling Innocenti-built Lambretta scooters in India after independence in the 1950s. They eventually acquired a licence to build the Li150 Series 2 model, which was sold under the Lambretta Series 2 name until about 1976 and later on changed the name to Lamby for legal reasons as Scooter India Ltd acquired the entire Innocenti Unit in 1972. API also built the trademark model [API-175] three-wheeler which was based on Innocenti's Lambro. API continued to build Lambretta-derived models until the 1980s but have been non-operational since 2002
Piaggio first licensed the production of Vespa scooters in India to Bajaj Auto in the 1960s. In 1971, Piaggio's license was not renewed as a part of Indira Gandhi's privatization programs. After the collaboration ended, Bajaj continued to produce scooters based on the Vespa design, namely the Chetak.
Another Vespa partner in India was that of LML Motors. Beginning as a joint-venture with Piaggio in 1983, LML, in addition to being a large parts supplier for Piaggio, produced the P-Series scooters for the Indian market. In 1999, after protracted dispute with Piaggio, LML bought back Piaggio's stake in the company and the partnership ceased. LML continues to produce (and also exports) the P-Series variant known as the Stella in the U.S. market and by other names in different markets.
1962 Vespa 150 GL
In the 2012 Auto Expo held in New Delhi, the iconic Vespa re-entered the Indian Market
Ideal Jawa (India) Ltd was an Indian motorcycle company based in Mysore, sold licensedJawa and ČZ motorcycles beginning in 1960 under the brand name Jawa and laterYezdi. The catchphrase for the bikes sold by the firm was "Forever bike forever value".
Royal Enfield motorcycles had been sold in India from 1949. In 1955, the Indian government looked for a suitable motorcycle for its police and army, for use patrolling the country's border. The Bullet was chosen as the most suitable bike for the job. The Indian government ordered 800 350 cc model Bullets, an enormous order for the time. In 1955, the Redditch company partnered Madras Motors in India in forming 'Enfield India' to assemble, under licence, the 350 cc Royal Enfield Bullet motorcycle in Madras(now called Chennai). Under Indian law, Madras Motors owned the majority (over 50%) of shares in the company. In 1957 tooling equipment was sold to Enfield India so that they could manufacture components.
Royal Enfield India is still manufacturing in India and is being sold in India and is also being exported to Europe as well as America and Australia. Recently Royal Enfield has undergone a major retooling particularly in the engine department with introduction of twin spark unit construction engine on all its models with EFI available on their flagship 500cc model. This retooling has sparked such an interest in these bikes that they have started double shifts at the plants.}}
In 1956 Enfield of India started assembling Bullet motorcycles under licence from UK components, and by 1962 were manufacturing complete bikes. Enfield of India bought the rights to use the Royal Enfield name in 1995
Royal Enfield Bullet 350/Electra 4s/Electra 5s/Machismo 500/Classic
The word ‘tempo’ has become a generic term in India for three-wheeled commercials.Old Tempos are still used in certain parts of India, and they are still manufactured. One company imports new ones to Germany (painted red) and sells them kitted out as commercial catering vans-photo of a tempo outside Sheesh Mahal Palace in 1994
and Shri Advani went to the United States to talk about collaboration with each of the American Big Three. Walchand believed the Indian company should be completely independent, with Indian management, capital, and employees, paying royalties or a technology-transfer payment to the Western automaker. Ideally, the existing automaker would help to maintain quality standards and would--
train Indian technicians.
GeneralMotors was able to do the work, they balked at helping to set up an independent Indian manufacturer, and insisted on part ownership.
They then moved on to the second-largest automaker, Ford; Henry agreed, but delegated the project to Ford of Canada, which refused.
Finally, they moved on to the third-largest automaker, Chrysler, and signed an agreement in bombay
IN 1950-1960 PERIOD INTER STATE ROAD TRANSPORT WAS A VERY RARE SIGHT
1962 Premier Fargo[This was origanally English Dodge Kew truck of ca 1950-1952.They were built in Chrysler's Kew factory]
Bombay in 1940.
By 1944, the Indian company was created under the name of Premier Automobiles, Ltd. Two years later, with the timetable stretching out due to the war, the first assembly plant was built, in Kurla, Bombay; production started in 1947. Two vehicles were built, albeit under several brand names: a Plymouth car and a Dodge truck, the car sold as Dodge, Plymouth, and DeSoto, and the truck as Dodge, Fargo, and DeSoto, with Fargo being the brand for trucks sold by Plymouth dealers. In the early years, at least, quality was considered good by both Chrysler and the Indian Department of Defense.
Walter P. Chrysler(1875- 1940 (aged 65)
In 1949, Indian parts production started, beginning with simpler components and gradually building up to more complex pieces. Two companies made parts: Premier and Hindustan Motors of Calcutta. The Hindustan 10 was based on the British Morris 10 as part of a collaboration with the UK’s Nuffield.
plymouth car 1957 fargo busDodge trucks were successfully imported from the Kew plant in the United Kingdom, according to Hans Ensing, who wrote that you can still see them in use (as of 2010).The government, via Dr. Shyama Prasad Mukherji (Minister of Commerce and Industry), thus set up steep import duties on parts early on, shooting prices on "made there, assembled here" vehicles quite high, and allowing Premier and Hindustan some breathing space. The government started to study the issues of domestic automobiles in 1952, concluding in 1953 that having a domestic auto industry was essential for building the country technologically and economically. Thus, in 1954, the government added incentives for local parts production to its existing import duties.The early years of Premier and Hindustan were marked by very low sales, due to the size of the market rather than the intrinsic worth of the vehicles. Only about 20,000 vehicles per year were made in India, though in 65 different models. Because of the very limited production runs of any particular vehicle, most manufacturers operated as assemblers of imported components. Premier and Hindustan found competition with mass-produced parts makers to be difficult, to say the least, especially given their own need for capital to build factories and train workers.
By that time, Premier had started to collaborate with Fiat, whose smaller Fiat 1100 may have been better suited to local conditions (small roads and expensive fuel) than the relatively big Plymouth. Hindustan started selling British-designed cars in 1949 with the Morris 10, followed by the Morris 14 (Hindustan 14). Other British cars in these early years included the Austin A40 and A70, while the Fiat 500 and Millicento were also sold. Premier continued to produce Chrysler Corporation-based vehicles at the same time (as evidenced by the 1960 model-year ad at the top of the page), including trucks — including, it seems, both U.S. and Kew Dodgedesigns.
A 1957 article (provided by Hans Ensing) noted the production of the 55,000th Premier vehicle, which at the time produced Dodge, Plymouth, and Fiat cars, and Dodge and Fargo trucks (no explanation was given as to why such a small market had both Dodge and Fargo). 60% of the components were made in India by Premier; the trucks had both gasoline and diesel engines. Production was at the rate of one vehicle every 12 minutes, around 40 per day.
Replacing foreign-made parts with domestic production took considerable time, and in 1964 only 65% of domestic vehicles were made from Indian parts. In 1969, Indian vehicles were finally made of 90% local parts, an enviable state; few countries could boast of such a feat, even with government assistance.
While production of Dodge and Fargo trucks by Premier stopped, they were still not an uncommon sight in the 1990s.
BELOW JEEPS [SHORT FORM OF GENERAL PURPOSE VEHICLE -'GP' BECAME JEEP]
As tensions were heightening around the world in the late 1930s, the U.S. Army asked American automobile manufacturers to tender suggestions to replace its existing, aging light motor vehicles, mostlymotorcyclesandsidecarsbut also some Ford Model T's.
1949 Jeep Willy Station Wagon
In addition, starting in 1949, the Willys Jeeps were made locally by Mahindra & Mahindra, as part of a collaboration with Willys Overland (which eventually made its way to Chrysler via Amc
Mr.Louis-Joseph Chevrolet (1878-June 1941 (aged 62)
1940 1945[second world war]
The company first started doing business in India in 1928, assembling Chevrolet cars, trucks and buses, but ceased operations in the country in 1954. It continued its tie-up with Hindustan Motors to build Bedford trucks, Vauxhall cars, Allison Transmissions and off-road equipment.
In 1994, General Motors India Private Limited (GMIPL) was formed as a 50-50 joint venture between GM and Hindustan Motors. GMIPL started out producing and selling Opel vehicles, and was bought over completely by GM in 1999. Till 2003, the company continued to produce Opel cars at its Halol facility. Later, it switched to producing Chevrolet vehicles at the same plant.
In the 1990s, Hindustan started manufacturing the 2.0 L Isuzu 4FC1 diesel engine that came to power the Contessa Diesel. It as well was an instant success. A turbodiesel version was also introduced a few years later. However, after the advent of more modern cars from GM, Ford, Fiat, Tata etc., the demand for the Contessa began to wane. Maruti Suzuki has grabbed the lion's share of the market
In 1966-1970, Fiat sponsored the building of car factory in theSoviet Union(sold as the Lada 1200 in export)
FORD TRUCKS INDIA 1970:-Simpson's, part of the TAFE group did assemble ford trucks in the early 1980's. These came from Australia. These were the earlier version of the Ashok Leyland IVECO cargo. (That was a ford design which was given to IVECO when ford and Fiat merged their truck operations and spun it off and that entity bought into Ashok Leyland).
The trucks did not sell well since the axles could not take overloading. These trucks were stunning by Indian standards - a proper cabin, nice seats
1986 Ford C-800 Diesel
A slice of ( radio and other) history
November 1949: Remco started commercial production of India’s first multi-band radios.
In the same year they were the first to manufacture domestic, control, screened and co-axial cables made of PVC.
First Indian company to actively enter into collaboration with a Japanese Firm – Toshiba – to make India’s first electrical watt-hour meters in 1952.
First to produce water meters of Swiss design in India in 1956.
First to make electronic bandswitches for the Communication Industry in 1958.
In the same year, they started production of India’s first electrolytic capacitors
In 1967, first to build Indian designed lighting arresters, with nonlinear elements made from basic raw material.
In year 1972(the year of this Advertisement), they manufactured the first high-fidelity “Cross-Over Sound” radios in India.