The Lighthouse is situated on Wagapur Point south of the Rajapur bay entrance and is about 45 km from Rajapur town on NH-17. Wagapur is a village nearby. The approach to the Lighthouse in olden times was by ML Rajapur Bay from Jaitapur port, about 4 km from lighthouse. With the development of roads in the region the boat route was discontinued. The Lighthouse is about 6 km from the Rajapur-Madban road. A cart track connects the road to the Lighthouse.
Rajapur bay was Chhatrapati Shivaji’s southern naval command and garrison head quarter in 17th century. The region came under the control of British East India Co toward the end of 18th century. They established first lighthouse here in 1873.It was a 7m high stone masonry tower constructed on the edge of the cliff. The double wick oil lamp inside a 6th order optic was installed on this tower. An occulting light was introduced in 1920; which was replaced by a DA gas equipment flashing every 12 seconds in 1935 and the station was placed under the charge of a ‘B’ grade Light keeper since 1st February 1937. A storm warning signal mast was also erected at that time.
The present Lighthouse Tower was constructed during 1956-58 and the PV revolving light was commissioned in 1958. The electric light for which optical assembly and equipment including gensets were supplied by BBT, Paris was installed in place of the PV light, and was commissioned in to service on 15th April 1965. An electrically operated Fog signal was also added in 1965, which was discontinued on 1st October 1987.
The incandescent main lamp was replaced by 230V, 400W Metal halide lamp on 30th September 1998.The light source was changed by 3 X 70 W MH cluster lamps.