Photograph taken about 1900 by the Government photographer, Zacharias D'Cruz of a view of the Normal School, Trivandrum in the erstwhile Travancore State. It is one of 76 prints in an album entitled 'Album of South Indian Views' of the Curzon Collection. The school was two storeyed with pitched roof and projecting dormers of carved wood in local style. When the Government of Travancore first established English schools it obtained teachers from outside. In 1894 a Normal School Institution was established in Trivandrum in the name of English Normal School. It consisted of three classes in which those who had passed the Lowers Secondary, Matriculation and F. A. Examinations were trained. The Government sanctioned two Normal Schools during 1883-84, one at Trivandrum and the other at Kottar for the training of teachers for Vernacular schools. The services of a duly qualified and trained teacher from Madras were secured to start the Normal School at Trivandrum. The School at Kottar was abolished in 1894, and the one at the Capital was amalgamated in 1900 with the English Normal School established in 1894.