Christ Church-at palayam- interior [Trivandrum]--Photographer: D'Cruz, Zachariah Medium: Photographic print Date: 1900

Christ Church interior [Trivandrum]

Christ Church interior [Trivandrum]


Christ Church interior [Trivandrum]
Photograph taken about 1900 by the Government photographer, Zacharias D'Cruz of a view of the interior of the Christ Church and cemetry, Trivandrum in the erstwhile Travancore. It is one of 76 prints in an album entitled 'Album of South Indian Views' part of the Curzon Collection. George Nathaniel Curzon was Under Secretary of State at the Foreign Office between 1895-98 and Viceroy of India between 1898-1905.


The history of the church begins with Bishop Middleton, the first bishop of Calcutta by deputing Rev.Hutchinson, Military Chaplain at Quilon, in 1817, to Trivandrum once a month, initiated Worship service for the members of the Church of England employed in the Military and Govt. at Trivandrum There was also a small number of Tamil Christians employed in the Govt. or in the households of Europeans. A Tamil congregation was formed in 1837, through the efforts of an English knowing young man, Mr. Christian David.
The Malayalam Congregation was started in 1876 by Mr. M. Chandy, followed by regular Worship services by Rev. M P Mathen in 1878. At this time, General Cullen, theBritish Resident, arranged divine services for Europeans in the Residency. In order to build a permanent place of worship for the members of the Church of England, both European and Indian, they collected about Rs.2600 and received an equal amount from the Govt. of Fort St. George. The Travancore Govt. granted the site and timber free, and lent the services of an able surveyor, Mr.Shedden, to supervise the construction work. General Cullen in the presence of Ramavarma Utram Tirunal, the Prince of Travancore and of many Christians and non-Christians laid

 the foundation stone of the Church on 13 December 1858. The Bishop Dealtry of Madras under the name “Christ Church” consecrated the Church on 15 November 1859.

 The Church furniture and accessories were the gifts of individuals or were bought out of funds subscribed by the members.
The Maharaja of Travancore gave a” Neetu” to the Church in which the land and taxes have been given free to the worshipping community. The War Memorial in front of the Church was a part of this sanctuary and regular commemoration of Martyr’s Anniversary was conducted every year with prayer ceremony by this Cantonment Church. The land for road development till the present boundary has been given to the State Government by this Church, free of cost. 

This is the oldest Church in the Trivandrum city.and has a unique colonial, Anglican architecture


PLEASE NOTE:- THE HAND PULLED PUNKAH(HAND PULLED FAN) ON EITHER SIDE ;HANGING DOWN LIKE A SHEET ;FROM ENTRANCE TO THE INTERIOR OF THE CHURCH;ALSO THE KEROSENE LANTERNS (BEFORE ELECTRICITY CAME TO TRIVANDRUM IN 1929)
 THE CHURCH WAS MADE ADJACENT TO THE ARMY CAMP CALLED CANTONMENT NOW KNOWN AS [PALAYAM] AND MOST EUROPEAN OFFICERS WERE STAYING NEAR BY ,AND MANY ENGLISH OFFICERS  ARE BURIED IN THE CHURCH
 THE FIRST BURIAL OF AN ENGLISH MAN TOOK PLACE IN 1786 IN  THE CEMETRY;BEFORE THE CHURH WAS MADE; MANY ENGLISH MEN WERE BURIED ,AND MANY OF THEIR NAMES ARE STILL SEEN ON THE TOMB STONES
 THE ARMY PARADE GROUND WAS MADE INTO A STADIUM (CHANDRASEKHARAN NAIR STADIUM OF PALAYAM)



  NOW