NOMEDICALCOLLEGE, ONE ENGINEERING COLLEGE IN KERALA1950;HISTORY OF COLLEGES IN TRAVANCORE

IN 19th century, Christian missionaries were pioneers in setting up educational institutions in the country., They collected money from church members to set up such colleges.


In fact, the Malayalam word for school is 
"pallikoodam"
which means "that which is attached to the church". This continued till the middle of the 20th century.
It is part of history that Missionaries were the pioneers of English education in Kerala. In 1815 Mr. Rinkil Tobe started a school with only 188 children. Missionary Norton started 1 school in 1817 with 44 students Travancore Government started the first school in 1834 at Thiruvananthapuram where only upper class was admitted


In 1950, India’s higher education enrolment rate was 0.7 per cent
Prof M.P. Manmadan, who was Principal of Mahatma Gandhi College, Thiruvananthapuram, for a long period, has in his autobiography describes how the Nair Service Society leader, Mannath Padmanabhan, collected money to set up colleges all over the state.

                                                           sri  mannath padmanabhan established nair service society(NSS)
One of the strategies he adopted was to ask every Nair family to donate at least one coconut tree to the NSS. Most Nair families obliged him, some with several coconut trees. These trees became a source of recurring income for the society. Mannath Padmanabhan was not after money. His colleges were not for Nairs alone. Lakhs of non-Nair students have passed out from such colleges.
                                                                   sri narayana guru
Other organisations like the Sri Narayana Dharma Paripalanam (SNDP) and Muslim Education Society (MES) have also set up colleges.
                                                   mar ivanios
 Around the time, St. Berchmen's College was set up at Changanacherry

There was no college in thiruvalla before 1952
Mar Thoma College, Thiruvalla, Founded in 1952 with Groups  1 & 11 of the Intermediate Class was the first collegeIt was Dr. T K Varghese of Puthencavu, who gave a push to the college by donating Rs. 25,000. Mr K K Kurien and Mr. P. Kurien John contributed Rs 7000 and Rs 5000 respectively.

.puspagiri started  in thiruvalla in 1959 as an 8bed clinic(now a medical college;before puspagiri started in 1959  the area  was semi wild cum agricultural field)

St. Thomas College, Kozhencherry, was started. IN 1953

The church members under the leadership of Kurumthottickal Achen came forward for setting up the Kozhencherri college. Rs 1 lakh which was in the Kozhencherry school fund was made available for this project.Since it was decided that the college should be under the aegis of the Eastern parishes and not under the Kozhencherry parish, a letter was sent to nearly 60 parishes, east of Maramon, seeking funds. The necessary land for the college was obtained from Poyyanil Kutty at a low price. The people of Kozhencherry came forward to build a road to link the college with the town. In a rectangular asbestos-roofed building, under the aegis of the eastern parishes, St. Thomas College, Kozhencherry, was started. Mr Kochukunjachan of Mulamoottil offered to spend Rs 20,000 to construct a part of the main college building.and Rs 2.5 lakh mainly through the good offices of Dr. Stanley Jones, Dr. Pearson and the 'Friends of the Mar Thom Church', set up by New York Union Seminary Principal Dr Pitt Wanderson.

The CMS College (CMS College Kottayam) is the first college in KOTTAYAM. It was started by the church missionary society of india in 1817 when no institution existed in the then-Travancore state to teach EnglishIn 1857 the college was affiliated to madras university soon after its incorporation and the college presented students for the matriculation examination. The college provided free education to all the students until 1855 when the fee of 1 Rupee a month began to be collected from each student. The total number of students in 1870 was only 129.In 1890, two-year classes were started.In 1950, Degree classes were started

saint berchmans college, Changanassery
 also known as S B College, is one of the most reputed colleges in Kerala, India. Established in 1922,

The Christian College, Chengannur
was founded by the late Rt. Rev. Dr. Mathews Mar Athanasius Episcopa of the Mar Thomas Syrian Church of Malabar in the year 1964. The college, started as a junior college with 3 batches of Pre-Degree classes rose to the Degree level in 1967

University of Travancore
which eventually became the
University of Kerala was established in 1937

by a promulgation of the Maharaja of Travancore, Sri Chithira Thirunal Balarama Varma who was also the first Chancellor of the University.It was the sixteenth University to be set up in India and ten Colleges within the State of Travancore which were affiliated to the Madras University became the affiliated colleges of the University of Travancore.In 1957, the Kerala University Act, Act 14 of 1957, was brought into force and the University of Travancore was renamed University of Kerala.The University had three campuses located in three different parts of the State viz. Thiruvananthapuram, Ernakulam and Kozhikode. In 1968, the University Centre at Kozhikode became a full -fledged University covering the Colleges and Departments located in Thrissur, Palakkad, Kozhikode and Kannur Districts of Kerala. The Cochin University of Science and Technology and the Kerala Agricultural University were set up in 1971 and in 1983 the Mahatma Gandhi University was established

Bishop Moore College at Mavelikkara
 a premier educational institution  in Alappuzha districtict of Kerala was started in 1964 as a junior college offering two years pre-degree course



The Milad-E-Sherief Memorial College, Kayamkulam,

 situated at the heart of Central Travancore, was founded in 1964 by the late Al-Haj.P.K.Kunju Sahib, a veteran freedom fighter and ex-minister of Kerala. From a humble beginning with 84 students and 9 teachers on the rolls, the college has now developed into a First Grade college with more than 4,000 students 


Sree Narayana College Kollam
The College was started by S.N.D.P Yogam in 1948. It was the first college in Kerala to start a post graduate course
Fatima Mata National College kollam
Bishop Jerome established Fatima Mata National College in 1951.



TKM college of engineering kollam
   The T.K.M College of Engineering was crystallized in form and substance in 1956 and Dr.N.Rajendra Prasad, the first President of Independent India, laid the foundation stone. After a short span of two years, the College was formally inaugurated by, Prof.Humayun Kabir the Hon'ble minister for Scientific and Cultural Affairs on 3rd July 1958. This is the first private grant-in-aid Engineering College in the state.


Sree Narayana College for Women was established in Kollam in 1951.


St. Gregarious College, Kottarakara was founded in 1964.


mannam Memorial N.S.S. College is the 15th in the order of hierarchy of 24 colleges of Nair Service Society. It came into existence in 1981


Trivandrum city :-


During the reign of Ayilyam Thirunal (1860-1880), a fully equipped Arts College was started besides several English, Malayalam and Tamil schools.The beginning of English education was made in 1834 by opening an English school at Thiruvananthapuram


In 1873, the University College was opened. It was during the reign of Sri Moolam Thirunal (1885-1924), that the Sanskrit College, Ayurveda College, Law College and a second grade College for Women were started at Thiruvananthapuram


Thiruvananthapuram, Bishop Mar Evanios had invested a lot of money in 1949 setting up a college later known as mar ivanios college.







Mahatma Gandhi College owes its origin to Sri. Mannathu Padmanabhan, the illustrious founder of Nair Service Society.
Late Sri. C. Rajagopalachari, the last Governor General of India, laid the foundation stone for the new building on August 22, 1948. The Arts section was shifted to this building in 1949, and the Science section the in 1950. The main building was completed in 1958 and was inaugurated by Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, the first Prime Minister of India, on April 24, 1958


Mar Theophilus Training College TRIVANDRUM
The college started functioning in 1956 as an affiliated College to the university of Kerala on the Bethany Hills.


Trivandrum Medical College is located in TRIVANDRUM,  It was founded in 1951 and was inaugurated by JAWAHARLAL NEHRU, the first prime minister of India. 
 

(I WAS LUCKY TO SEE NEHRU DURING THAT OCCASION .NEHRU DURING HIS SPEECH SAID "WE NEED MANY MANY MORE SUCH INSTITUTION IN INDIA" I AM HAPPY TO SEE MANY MANY MORE MEDICAL COLLEGES IN KERALA NOW .NEHRU'S WISH HAS COME TRUE)
 

This is the oldest and most prestigious medical college in KERALA.In January 1952, the Sri. Avittom Thirunal Hospital ( SATH ) was inaugurated by Smt. Rajkumari Amrit Kaur. In 1952, men's hostel and 1year later women's hostel was also inaugurated. The Medical College Hospital was inaugurated by Shri. Jawaharlal Nehru on 1954.The School of Nursing was inaugurated by Her Highness Sethu Lakshmi Bai in 1954 and upgraded to College of Nursing in 1963.The Cancer block was inaugurated in 1958 






below:--



The Thiruvananthapuram College of Engineering , was established in the year 1939 as the premiere Engineering College in the State of Travancore. The institution was the inspired vision of Sree Chithira Thirunal Balarama Varma, the Maharaja of Travancore state.

                                                                                   
                                                                                          now