This was a palace built for the Raja of Kochi in1552 AD by the Portugese. But posterity remembers this monument as the Dutch Palace, mainly because it was renovated and re-built by the Dutch East India Company in 1663 AD.. The palace has beautiful murals and a remarkable display of old Palanquins and armoury.
Since then it came to be called the Dutch Palace, though at no time did the Portugese nor the Dutch stayed there. One of the oldest buildings in Kerala, the Mattancherry Palace is a portrait gallery of the kings of Cochin.
In the centre of the building, is the Coronation Hall where the Cochin Rajas held their coronations. Adjacent rooms contain 17th century Murals depicting scenes from the great Indian epic, the Ramayana. On display in the palace are the dresses, turbans, weapons and palanquins from that era.
The palace is a double-storeyed quadrangular building that surrounds a central courtyard containing a Hindu Temple, enshrining the royal deity, Palayannur Bhagavati. Two more temples are situated on either side of the Palace dedicated to Lord Krishna & Lord Siva respectively.
The palace is open all days for the public between 10 am and 5