TUNNEL AT VARKALA ,SOUTH TRAVANCORE


ABOUT 50 KMS NORTH OF TRIVANDRUM THIS TUNNEL OF ABOUT 1000 FEET WAS MADE TO FACILITATE BOAT ,(VALLAM )TRAVEL BETWEEN NORTH AND SOUTH TRAVANCORE IN1868.ONCE IT WAS USED FOR COMMERCIAL USE OF TRANSPORTING GOODS BETWEEN TRIVANDRUM AND KOLLAM TOWNS NOW NOT USED
The important work of tunneling through the Varkala cliffs, commenced in 1044 M. E. (1868-69), was completed in the next year. Continuous water communication was thus established between Trivandrum, Alleppey, Cochin and even Thirur railway station in Malabar.
A navigable canal from Kottayam to Vaikom was constructed in 1064 M.E. (1888-89). Decisive stops were taken in 1069 M.E. (1893-94) to extend and improve the road system in the interior parts of north Travancore. As a measure of relief to the travelling public arrangements were made to construct wells along the Main Southern Road from Trivandrurn to the Aramboly frontier. The question of improving the canals and backwaters with a view to render them fit for steam navigation was taken up for consideration in 1079 M.E. and the formation of a separate Sub-division to deal with the subject sanctioned. The total length of communications maintained by the department in 1081 M.E. (1905-06) was 2,224 miles of which 330 miles wereplanters' roads, 774 miles village roads, 360 miles traces and 156 miles canals and backwaters.