THE CLOCK TOWER AT KOLLAM


The quadrangular tower was built by the natives in honor of Unichakam Veedu K G Parameshwaran Pillai, the former chairman of Kollam Municipality from 1932 to 1948. The construction was started in 1941 and completed in 1944. Built with brick and white cement, it has the distinction of being the first clock tower of the erstwhile Travancore. The four big clocks placed on the sides were brought from Kolkata and its origin can be traced to Britain